The War

February 5, 2008

Few topics garner as much debate as the war; whether one is for it or against it, believes it’s over or not, or believes progress is being made or not, is always a popular, yet heated subject matter. One thing is certain; a war needs a soldier. A war won’t and can’t take place without someone who believes enough in the cause to give their time and even their life for it. Are you a soldier?

Soldiers wake each day knowing that they have given their lives for the one they serve. They never forget that they are soldiers. They never take their mission for granted. They never try to hide who they are or whom they serve. They never, ever flirt with the enemy. A good soldier knows his or her weaknesses and they work to make sure that their weaknesses don’t sabotage their mission. Each side wants good soldiers.

Christians are soldiers on a mission. Paul tells us in Ephesians 6:11 to put on the whole armor of God so that we may be able to adequately fight against the enemy. He reminds us that our fight isn’t against each other, but with the Evil One; the same One who tempted our King and rejected our Lord. He secretly pursues us. He plants temptations and exploits our weaknesses. He wants our souls and will stop at nothing to get them. He will hurt our family, lead us into danger zones, and whisper words of doubt into our ears. He will stop at nothing to defeat us.

Though we are on this dangerous mission, we can take comfort knowing that we can be victorious! As soldiers, we can wake each day realizing the fact that we are in a spiritual war. The same one many fail to see or accept. We need not be afraid as we fight. The One we serve has promised never to leave or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). He has promised to help us escape those battles which are too big for us to handle (I Corinthians 10:13). The One we serve is always beside us as a friend and brother. He doesn’t send us out as soldiers to fight alone. He offers us guidance, protection, and in the end a home with Him.

We should never forget that we are soldiers of a King so powerful that through Him the Universe was made. That while He lived on this earth he made the blind see, the deaf hear, and brought the dead back to life. He was a nonconformist, associated with sinners, and enraged the religious, yet gave His own life out of love. He allowed Himself to be ridiculed, beaten, and separated from His Father when He could have called legions to His aid. He never forgot about us. He never thought for an instant that we weren’t worth it. He loved us then as He loves us now.

Our King sent us on a mission in Matthew 28:19-20. Our mission may be filled with battles that could test our patience and break our hearts but we will fight and we will succeed and we will always remember that the battle belongs to our Lord.

Don’t get caught up in daily details. We are in a war and victory is near!

•    Tim Archer  |  February 6th, 2008 at 3:52 am     Reply

Good thoughts. Years ago I read an article about having a wartime mentality. Can you imagine if we approached spiritual warfare the way people approached WWII? We could shake this world up.

Grace and peace,
    Tim

•    Monalea  |  February 6th, 2008 at 4:25 pm     Reply

Paula, when I remember I’m at war I seem to do better with what life throws at me. Thank you for the nudge.

Monalea

ps – Are you truly the mother of 5?

•    Kathy  |  February 6th, 2008 at 6:57 pm     Reply

Great encouragement! Thanks!

•    Paula Harrington  |  February 7th, 2008 at 3:17 am     Reply

Yes, I am truly a mother of five. Sometimes it’s hard for me to believe as well 🙂

•    blogprophet  |  February 7th, 2008 at 2:10 pm     Reply

can’t debate that or argue that. Satan is at war. We can fight or die.

(and yes, she is a mother of five)

•    AncientWanderer  |  February 7th, 2008 at 11:12 pm     Reply

Too many Christians are “citizen soldiers”, a not so self-regulated militia. We are more citizens of this world than the other who don’t want to bothered with war.
    We want the glory.
    We want the rewards.
    We want the little extra blessings at the end of the month.
    But we don’t want to actually have to do any soldiering.

Good Post.

•    preacherman  |  February 13th, 2008 at 2:20 pm     Reply

Thank you for this great post.

•    Matthew  |  February 27th, 2008 at 4:19 pm     Reply

Tim has a wonderful insight in his comment. Good thought Tim.

•    preacherman  |  February 28th, 2008 at 7:47 pm     Reply

I hope you have a great weekend and all is going well.
    In Him,
    Kinney Mabry

•    preacherman  |  March 10th, 2008 at 10:12 pm     Reply

I hope all is going well with you and your family. I haven’t heard from you in a while. I check your blog daily. I want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    In Him,
    Kinney Mabry

•    barb michelen  |  March 29th, 2008 at 3:13 am     Reply

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it’s been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is