Are You Ready to Meet God?

October 13, 2007

Today while shopping for school clothes my six-year-old, out of the blue, said, “Oh, I hope we can meet God today!” She went on to say that wouldn’t it be neat if He were at our house waiting on us when we got home. I smiled and assured her that we will and He would be.

How many of us have that kind of precious attitude? How many times have we made that same proclamation? Maybe that’s why Jesus says in Matthew 19:14, “…the kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.” Jesus knows that children have pure hearts. He understands that where adults may question and confuse spiritual matters, little children just get it.

As I thought about my readiness I couldn’t help but think of others who were ready to meet God.

John the Baptist was Ready
Matthew 11, Luke

Even when doubt crept in and he sent his disciples to ask if Jesus was indeed the Christ, John already knew. He just needed to hear it one last time. And listen to the answer Jesus gave, “the blind receive sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the Gospel preached to them.” Jesus knew that John knew, too. I imagine Jesus smiling through these words, so proud of John and what he had accomplished.

The devil works overtime to plant seeds of doubt in Christian hearts. John must have wondered why (if Jesus was the One) he was sitting in prison when he could be out preaching, teaching, and helping Jesus. Sometimes life doesn’t go the way we expect it to, but regardless of what life deals us, we should always be ready to meet God.

Stephen was Ready
Acts 7

Stephen was a Christian who was reliable, trustworthy, thoughtful and selfless. How do I know? Because he had made such an impact on others that he was one of those chosen to help distribute food in the early church. Stephen stood out. He was probably one of those Christians who loved helping out; one of the first to be there when something needed to be done, always someone others called in times of need or trouble. Know people like this?

Stephen didn’t hide behind others when he was brought before the Council. When he faced death, he didn’t make excuses. He didn’t lay blame at the feet of others. He proudly spoke the truth. He started with Abraham, and then told of Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David, Solomon and Jesus. He preached a great sermon that ended with his death. As he lay dying he called on the name of the Lord and asked for mercy on those taking his life. What an example to us today.

Are you Ready?

There are many other examples of those in the Bible who went to meet God. Some spent their lives in His service but others spent their lives in their own service. Just like today there are those who love Jesus and strive to follow Him and there are those who are more concerned with their worldly lives. When that great day comes and we finally meet God face to face some will be ready and excited; others will be apprehensive and fearful but every one us will die and every one of us will meet God (Hebrews 9:27).

When you meet Him will you have to make excuses for what you’ve been doing, who you’ve been with, what you’ve been thinking, watching, or listening to? Will you have to explain why you dress the way you do, why you use the words you do, or why you hang around with the people you do? In the presence of our Lord and Savior will you be ashamed or will you be at ease?

You have a chance to make your life right with God so that if you happen to meet Him face to face today you’ll be ready. Don’t linger, indulge yourself in His Word, surround yourself with His people, and get ready to meet your God.

•    Monalea  |  October 14th, 2007 at 3:00 am     Reply

Excellent post! I had a big brush with cancer in 2000. I wasn’t supposed to make it past the summer of 2000. After chemo, surgery, radiation, more chemo, 2 staff infections and a blood infection I’m still here. It really changed my outlook. I’m ready to meet God!

Monalea

•    preacherman  |  October 15th, 2007 at 3:22 am     Reply

It is great to see another post from you. I check your blog everyday. I believe this is an excellent post. I cannot wait to see God. Yes, I would love to see my boy graduate from high school, college, get married, have grand children, see what my ministry potential turns into but I want you to know that I so read to meet God. I have good days and I have bad days still with my GBS. On the bad days I have pain that is so incrediable. I sometime wake up at 3 in the morning and cry. Yes, I take Vicodine and other medication for the pain but even those medicines don’t work. I am going to the doctor in the morning to see what he can do. Please, please keep me in your prayers. I can’t to meet God, to be in heaven where their is no more PAIN, TEARS, HURTING, seeing loved ones wishing they could make it go away and make it better.

Again great post sister.
    I hope you have a good week.

•    Kathy  |  October 15th, 2007 at 10:31 pm     Reply

Great reminder! I am ready and looking forward to meeting God.

•    laymond  |  October 16th, 2007 at 5:06 pm     Reply

I hope I’m prepared, but I certianly am not ready. I still have a lot of things I want to do for my family here. It is strange those who claim to be ready fight death with a vengence. I know I will die but I don’t know if I will ever be ready. may God bless

•    Matthew  |  October 16th, 2007 at 9:09 pm     Reply

Great post, I guess our young ones can meet God in godly homes, it is sad though that some homes never have the Lord in them.

•    Tammy Snyder  |  October 18th, 2007 at 1:33 am     Reply

Hello Paula,
    To answer the question of your post…DEFINITELY!!!
    I know with confidence that I am ready if the Lord decides it’s my time to die, physically. I have young children, BUT they are being raised to know their Heavenly Father, their Creator. I have a husband who would not falter in continuing onward for his own sake and that of his children. I have a family among the church that will see to their needs, should I go. And I, above all, have faith in God Himself, that He will see to the care and protection of my loved ones.
    I AM DEFINITELY READY TO GO!! (smile)
    All whom I love are in the BEST hands! Praise God!
    In Christian love,
    Tammy Snyder

•    laymond  |  October 19th, 2007 at 2:02 am     Reply

help the children get health insurance, call your senator.