God’s Minute

September 5, 2007

I’ve only just a minute,
Only sixty seconds in it.
Forced upon me, can’t refuse it,
Didn’t seek it, didn’t choose it,
But it’s up to me to use it.
I must suffer if I lose it,
Give an account if I abuse it,
Just a tiny little minute,
But eternity is in it.

By Dr. Benjamin E. Mays

I can’t remember any of my phone numbers while growing up, all of my many pet’s name, and or what exactly my childhood address was but I remember this poem. I’m not sure where exactly I first heard it or why it stuck with me through all these years but something about God’s Minute was so important to me that I can remember as a child, teen, and adult reciting it word for word. It always seemed to offer comfort and give me something to hold on and look forward to.

Our minutes aren’t our own. Each of them belong to God. No matter what life deals us through the day-to-day details; Someone stronger, bigger, and better than us owns the minutes that make up our lives. Isn’t that comforting considering how hard life can sometimes be? Our Father who has promised to care for us, love us, and never leave us has been with us through ever minute we have ever faced.

He was there the minute we were born, the minute we met our spouse, the minute our children were born and He will be there the minute we die. He holds us through the hard times and smiles at us through the good times. He knows that each minute we face is filled with sin and temptation. He understands that stress and exhaustion sometimes fill our minutes. He’s there through the disappointing minutes, the sorrowful minutes and the minutes we spend celebrating and laughing. He loans us each minute and promises that we will never have to meet one without His presence.

While you’re using the minutes that will eventually make up this day, stop and spend some of them with God. Thank Him for the love, concern, and time He have given and continues to give us. And remember: God owns our minutes, it’s up to us how we will use them.

So how are you using yours?

Psalm 34:1 I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth

Entry Filed under: God's Minutes. Posted in  God's Minutes .

•    Neva  |  September 5th, 2007 at 3:12 am     Reply

One of the things my parents taught me growing up is that it all belongs to God anyway! That concept has always helped me with my time, my money, my house, my car, etc. Thank you for this post. Sometimes I still forget.
    Peace
    Neva

•    lisa  |  September 5th, 2007 at 3:38 am     Reply

I spent quite a few minutes today reading the latest “Christian Woman” magazine, including your article!! 🙂

•    AncientWanderer  |  September 5th, 2007 at 2:59 pm     Reply

I recon a second at a time but unfortunately not every second of every minute.

•    Anonymous  |  September 5th, 2007 at 7:56 pm     Reply

i meant
    11235

•    preacherman  |  September 7th, 2007 at 2:54 am     Reply

Wonderful post! He has given us every minute. Right now. Make the most of our time. Blog? What about? Will it make a difference? What do you want people to get from it? Is it important? How do you want them to leave? Do you want them to think? If so what about?

Every minute. Family. Spending time with Family. Telling how much you appeciate and love them. Do they know it? Did you tell them today? Do you show it? Prove it? Hug them enough? Kiss them good night? Encourage the enough?

Every minute. Does God know how much you love Him? Have you told him lately? Have you gone to church regularly? Prayed today? Read your Bible today? It is so important that we spend time alone with God. Reading His Word, praying, worshiping Him. As a minister it is important that we set it aside from sermon prep. What I do is go in the auditorium and spend time alone with God in the mornings. Then, I go into my office and start working. There is no greater way to start off the day than to start it off with God. Paula thanks for the reminder to us all and this wonderful post. God bless you sister and I hope you have a great weekend

•    Justin  |  September 8th, 2007 at 3:12 am     Reply

Beautiful post! It’s easy to forget who my minutes belong to, but it is my hope that more and more minutes will be dedicated to Him! (Especially after reading this)

•    starkeyls  |  February 20th, 2008 at 2:50 am     Reply

I too learned this poem as a child in the fifth grade. I was searching for the name of the author when I found your blog. Thanks for sharing your memories.
    Many Blessings,