The Jesus Factor

August 31, 2007

Spent yesterday afternoon at a Psychogeometrics seminar (five points to whomever can tell me what that means without having to Google :). While I was there the book “The Fred Factor” was referenced. The book, written by Mark Sanborn, tells the true story of Sanborn’s postal carrier, Fred. Fred was an outstanding individual. He believed that everyone has the power to make a difference. He lived by the rule that everything is built on relationships. He consistently made others feel valuable and each day he believed that we have the power to begin anew.

While I listened to the speaker I continually thought of Jesus. Fred, the postal carrier, was only doing what Jesus did and taught two thousand years ago. We, as followers of Christ, have the responsibility to make a difference in every life we touch. We know, or should know, that every relationship we have should include Jesus. We should strive to make each person we come in contact with feel valuable regardless of who they are or where they come from. And each day before our feet hit the floor we should ask God to help us have the power to live that day for Him.

Fred sounds like a great guy but I would like for people to compare me to Jesus not Fred. I’d like the whole world to know that before there was a great guy named Fred who influenced others, there was a perfect man named Jesus who gave His life for everyone.

Instead of reading “The Fred Factor” how about picking up the Bible and reading about the Jesus factor.

•    AncientWanderer  |  August 31st, 2007 at 3:50 am     Reply

Psychogeometrics- did not have a clue but I did take a “test” to find out what shape I was.

Isn’t it odd that “Freds” attract the world but Jesus is ? what old hat or passe’?

•    Bob Bliss  |  August 31st, 2007 at 10:06 am     Reply

So what “shape” are you Paula?

•    Bob Bliss  |  August 31st, 2007 at 10:07 am     Reply

Don, the “Freds” of the world inspire but don’t demand discipleship.

•    Anonymous  |  August 31st, 2007 at 11:43 am     Reply

Bob,
    I am a box with big touch of circle 🙂 Thanks for asking.
    Paula

•    Anonymous  |  August 31st, 2007 at 11:44 am     Reply

What shape are you all?

Paula

•    AncientWanderer  |  August 31st, 2007 at 11:59 am     Reply

Bob-
    That discipleship thingie is a deal breaker for many that I tell the Gospel to 🙁

•    AncientWanderer  |  August 31st, 2007 at 12:00 pm     Reply

Paula-
    I am a-
    SQUIGGLE

And I still don’t know what that means.

•    Anonymous  |  August 31st, 2007 at 12:31 pm     Reply

A Squiggle…..I could have guessed that 🙂

Paula

•    Anonymous  |  August 31st, 2007 at 12:32 pm     Reply

What are you Bob?

Paula

•    Anonymous  |  August 31st, 2007 at 5:01 pm     Reply

hey, my sister has a great article published in the newest issue of Christian Woman.
    check it out if you can…

brian

•    Bob Bliss  |  August 31st, 2007 at 5:26 pm     Reply

Paula, I’m a rectangle/squiggle combination.

Don, how many people have you baptized and they not show up for services the following Sunday? I know that attendance is not the key to discipleship but it seems to me it’s a good place to start.

•    TREY MORGAN  |  August 31st, 2007 at 7:42 pm     Reply

Paula … Christian Woman? Awesome. I’m not suprised. You are awesome. I look forward to reading it.

It is okay for men to read Christian “woman” isn’t it? 🙂

•    Mark  |  August 31st, 2007 at 8:51 pm     Reply

Thanks for referencing my book, The Fred Factor. You probably don’t know that there are two versions. Currency publishes the business version. Waterbrook Press publishes the Christian version. In that version I explain that Jesus is the reason we have the urge to serve, as Fred does.

I certainly agree that the Bible is primary reading. But I wouldn’t exclude The Fred Factor as secondary reading as the message is one that Jesus taught about making a positive difference in the lives of others by being of service.

•    Paula Harrington  |  August 31st, 2007 at 9:13 pm     Reply

Hi Mark,

Thanks for letting me know about the alternate version. I’ll look for it this weekend.

Paula

•    Monalea  |  September 1st, 2007 at 2:40 am     Reply

Psychogeometrics – I think I had it once, but took medication and got over it.

I had a shape when I was younger, but now that I’m well over 40 I’m not sure I have a shape now.

Monalea

•    AncientWanderer  |  September 1st, 2007 at 4:19 am     Reply

Bob-
    Certainly more than one. Most of them occurred in a “Meeting” or “VBS” setting.

•    Bob Bliss  |  September 1st, 2007 at 11:24 am     Reply

Don, so maybe they got caught up in the emotion of the event and didn’t count the cost?

Paula, thanks for letting Don and I use your space to converse.

•    Matthew  |  September 2nd, 2007 at 6:49 pm     Reply

You are so right. He was the greatest influencer.

•    Stoned-Campbell Disciple  |  September 4th, 2007 at 4:34 am     Reply

Thanks for pointing to Jesus. I am with you 100 percent.

Shalom,