Here’s Your Sign

August 2, 2007

There is a popular comedian who has a comedy bit about people asking goofy questions and how helpful it would be for others if these people had to wear a sign. I thought of this the other day when a customer at our drive-in movie theater asked why we only showed movies at night. Sadly, I have been guilty of also asking questions with obvious answers.

What Would Your Sign Say?

If Christians had to wear a sign what would yours say? Would it say you were a genuine Christian? One who truly strives to follow Christ and bring others to Him? Would your friends agree? Would they acknowledge that you are a follower of Christ? Do you live your life in such a way that others know who you follow?

Or would it say you were a pseudo Christian?

These Christians are only pretending. Once they walk out of the church building they resort back to their weekly behavior. Beware these Christians are hypocrites and hurt the church and sincere Christians.

The Devil loves for people to claim to be Christians yet live worldly lives. He delights in psuedo Christians laughing at dirty jokes, enjoying vulgar movies and TV shows, and using the Lord’s name in vain all under the pretense of Christianity. He giggles when they gossip, gets excited when they cause strife, and feels victorious when they chose themselves over Christ.

Hypocrites are one of the main reasons why the church isn’t growing as fast as we’d like. Too many times “Christians” have undermined Christ and His church.

I challenge you today to choose who you will serve. Like Joshua make your claim and stand by it. It would be better for you to turn your back completely on Christ then to stand up and proclaim Him one minute and deny Him the next.

Here’s your sign just make sure it points to Jesus and not the world.

•    Monalea  |  August 2nd, 2007 at 11:00 pm     Reply

I liked this. I feel like satan wrestles me to the ground from time to time and tries to remove the sign I’m wearing.

Monalea

•    Tim Archer  |  August 3rd, 2007 at 1:10 pm     Reply

You should have given that customer a free ticket to an afternoon matinee.

My fear about my sign is that I’m not sure it would say the same thing every day.

Grace and peace,
    Tim

•    AncientWanderer  |  August 3rd, 2007 at 4:02 pm     Reply

My sister came over to visit us while we were staying at our parents house this summer.
    They were in the process of putting in a new drive-in movie in that town and had the screen & all the parking spaces set but were still working on the sound system. She stared at it for a while, turned to me and asked, “Where are all the people going to sit?”

My Sign-

“UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT”

•    Anonymous  |  August 5th, 2007 at 1:55 pm     Reply

Two verses to consider.
    Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Matthew 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

Unless we are perfect, we shouldn’t judge others. And if we are perfect we don’t need Jesus.

•    laymond  |  August 5th, 2007 at 2:28 pm     Reply

Paula; I agree with anon on this, I don’t wear a sign, but when we do we really need to be careful that it points to Christ, and not to ourself.
    I think a good one would be an arrow pointing to the Bible saying “enter here”

•    Neva  |  August 7th, 2007 at 1:05 pm     Reply

You have been tagged my friend, sorry to do something so ornery to you. The rules are on my post today.

Peace
    neva

•    preacherman  |  August 7th, 2007 at 9:28 pm     Reply

Great post.
    I was dressed up on Sunday morning going to the grocery store in town and was asked, you going to Church? Behind me was the baptist preacher said, I hope he doesn’t. I need a few more come over to mine church. We had a good laugh. As we were exiting the store the lady, pastor from the methodist church was going in to buy donuts for her church. We had to tease her and say we bought all the donuts. You’ll have to go to the catholic church and buy the breakfast taco’s this morning.

I hope you have a great week.

•    Neva  |  August 8th, 2007 at 12:52 am     Reply

My sign would say “The Holy Spirit lives here” and “Under Construction”

Peace
    neva

•    Justin  |  August 21st, 2007 at 6:50 pm     Reply

What a wonderful post. I love your writing so far, and I’m going to add you to my blogroll immediately! Also, I saw your comment on preacherman’s post about “entertaining angels”. I definitely bare witness with that, and I believe that blanket WAS delivered to you by an angel. Praise Jesus!