PUSH

June 6, 2007

I don’t know who wrote this or where it came from originally but I was having a long week yesterday 🙂 and this came from a family member. I can’t explain how much I needed it. Thought I would pass it along for you, too. Enjoy:

A man was sleeping one night in his cabin when suddenly his room filled with light, and God appeared. The Lord told the man he had work for him to do, and showed him a large rock in front of his cabin. The Lord explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his might.

So,this the man did, day after day. For many years he toiled from sun-up to sun-down, his shoulders set squarely against the cold, massive surface of the unmoving rock, pushing with all his might!

Each night the man returned to his cabin sore and worn out, feeling that the whole day had been spent in vain. Since the man was showing discouragement, the Adversary (Satan) decided to enter the picture by placing thoughts into the weary mind (He will do it every time!)

“You have been pushing against that rock for a long time and it hasn’t moved.”
Thus, he gave the man the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a failure. These thoughts discouraged and disheartened the man. Satan said, “Why kill yourself over this? Just put in your time, give just the minimum effort and that will be good enough.”

That’s what the weary man planned to do but decided to make it a matter of Prayer and to take his troubled thoughts to The Lord. “Lord,” he said, “I have labored long and hard in Your Service, putting all my strength to do that which you have asked. Yet, after all this time, I have not even budged that rock by half a millimeter. What is wrong? Why am I failing.

The Lord responded compassionately, “My son, when I asked you to serve Me and you accepted, I told you that your task was to push against the rock with all of your strength, which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected you to move it. Your task was to push.

And now you come to Me with your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. But, is that really so? Look at yourself. Your arms are strong and muscled; your back shiny and brown; your hands are calloused from constant pressure; your legs have become massive and hard. Through opposition you have grown much and your abilities now surpass that which you used to have. True, you haven’t moved the rock. But your calling was to be obedient and to push and to exercise your Faith and trust in My Wisdom. That you have done. Now I, my son, will move the rock.”

At times, when we hear a word from God, we tend to use our own intellect to decipher what He wants, when actually what God wants is just simple obedience and faith in Him. By all means, exercise the Faith that moves mountains, but know that it is still God Who moves The Mountains.

When everything seems to go wrong…Just P.U.S.H.
When the job gets you down…Just P.U.S.H.
When people don’t do as you think they should…Just P.U.S.H.
When your money is gone and the bills are due…Just P.U.S.H.
When people just don’t understand you…Just P.U.S.H.

P = Pray

U = Until

S = Something

H = Happens

Wasn’t that great?! If anyone knows who wrote it, let me know. I’d like to thank them.

•    AncientWanderer  |  June 7th, 2007 at 3:07 am     Reply

Excellent thoughts.

•    Bill  |  June 7th, 2007 at 3:32 am     Reply

I can’t remember where I read this before, but it is excellent! Thanks for the reminder, Paula.

•    Neva  |  June 7th, 2007 at 1:30 pm     Reply

I don’t know where you got it but I posted a post on it quite some time ago and I got it from a young man who did a devo for us.

liked it then, like it now.

Peace and prayers
    Neva

•    Bob Bliss  |  June 7th, 2007 at 4:35 pm     Reply

When I was still new in my ministry I was taking a fellow to the airport after a youth rally. He lead the singing. He said he went to Harding but didn’t like it because none of the professors had “successful” ministries. He said that “successful” meant growing church, lots of baptisms. I asked if he considered Noah successful. He wanted to know what I meant. I said Noah preached for 120 years and all he had to show was his family (7 people). He didn’t like where I was headed with that thought. I think we have way too much of the “success” mentality in our churches today. We want to quantify our faith and our ministries. We need the “faithful” mentality instead. Good story and thoughts.

•    Mike M  |  June 7th, 2007 at 6:13 pm     Reply

Great blog. You write very well.

-0-0-

•    lisa  |  June 7th, 2007 at 8:57 pm     Reply

I think I got this once in a Thought for the Day email newsletter. I have always appreciated the story too. Thanks for sharing it, I enjoyed reading it again.

Dad, I’m going to have to remember to use Noah as an example sometime. Good one.

•    The Preacher's Household:  |  June 8th, 2007 at 3:57 am     Reply

I HAD NOT READ IT BEFORE! (Sorry Neva, but I don’t remember it from your blog) So thanks, I really liked it!
    My problem is that God won’t directly come down and talk to me like that. I could really use a face to rock with Him right now.
    Kathy

•    Mike M  |  June 8th, 2007 at 12:05 pm     Reply

What books did you publish??

•    preacherman  |  June 8th, 2007 at 3:17 pm     Reply

I thank we all needed that reminder today.

•    TREY MORGAN  |  June 8th, 2007 at 5:18 pm     Reply

Great thoughts and a great reminder.