Sometimes Life Stinks

April 3, 2007

Genesis 6-8

Our six-year-old daughter recently received a new Bible from her Sunday morning Bible class teacher. Inside the front cover was a short note explaining how important it was for her to read her Bible every night and if she couldn’t read it, then someone in her family would always read it to her.

This made an impact on our youngest so each night she finds a place and we start reading. The other night she opened her Bible to the story of Noah. After I finished reading we began to discuss how God saved Noah and his family from the flood. We talked about God’s salvation and how good He is to us and how one day, He will save us, too. She thought about that for a moment then made a face.

“What?” I asked.
“It’s a good story but…” she answered in her sweet little voice.
“But what?” I inquired.
“But it sure was stinky in there!”

When Life Stinks

Job says life is short with many troubles (Job 14:1) but why is it we’re shocked when life doesn’t turn out the way we think it should? Maybe our parents were abusive. Maybe our spouse didn’t remain faithful. Maybe we lost a child, a spouse, a best friend or a great job? Maybe we just received a diagnosis that could turn into a death sentence? Maybe none of these have happened, yet.

There are many times and ways that life may stink and there is nothing we can do about it. Complaining won’t fix it. Walking away won’t fix it. Blaming God won’t fix it, either. Bad times come with the territory. Life is hard. It hurts. It can bring us to our knees in frustration, agony, and hopelessness. Sometimes it breaks our heart. Sometimes it breaks our spirit. There may have even been times when we’ve prayed for death.

When we find ourselves facing hard times maybe we could learn a thing or two from what Noah did (or may have done).

Noah:

– stayed busy (whether it was shoveling or fanning) I doubt he was ever idle.
– found joy in his family.
– looked for the good in the situation.
– may have stuck his head out of the window every now and then for a breath of fresh air.
– looked forward to the end.
– trusted in God to get him through.

When life stinks we should always trust God to see us through. Remember Noah’s cruise didn’t last forever.

Question:

Why do we tend to focus more on the bad things we go through in life instead of the good?

Entry Filed under: Noah's Ark,Salvation. Posted in  Noah's Ark ,Salvation .

•    jel  |  April 3rd, 2007 at 12:40 pm     Reply

Great post and thanks!

and that was a good Question!

and one I wish I knew!

morning! 🙂

•    Tim Archer  |  April 3rd, 2007 at 2:46 pm     Reply

My guess: a sense of entitledness.

A friend did a great sermon on how we seem to feel that everyone is entitled to go to heaven, that somehow God is being unfair if He keeps anyone out. My friend pointed to the Israelites and the Promised Land; the Promised Land was a gift, not a deserved reward. That’s why God wasn’t unfair to only allow 2 of the original group to make it there.

I feel entitled to a good life, when, actually, anything good that comes my way is a gift.

Have a great day!

Grace and peace,
    Tim

•    Neva  |  April 3rd, 2007 at 5:51 pm     Reply

Maybe because we are all so blessed, we are just not used to the trials! 🙂

Great post
    Love and peace
    neva

•    Bob Bliss  |  April 4th, 2007 at 2:25 am     Reply

Tim, excellent comment! I like your parallel between the Promised Land as a gift to heaven as a gift and not a deserved reward. That’ll preach brother! Oh yeah, you said someone already did. Well how about we preach it again?!

•    lisa leichner  |  April 4th, 2007 at 3:41 am     Reply

(Paula, I think my bloglines is messing up with your posts, because I didn’t know you had this new one up!)

I don’t know why we focus more on the negative things than the positive, though I think the other comments were good. We do seem to think we’re entitled to more than we are. And we are blessed so much that when we get something bad thrown our way, it seems worse than it really is. It’s really interesting as a parent to try and teach your children that “life isn’t always fair.” It’s one of those things that you just hate to hear!! (How many of us heard it from our parents and said we’d NEVER say it to our kids?!)

After my study on Noah’s wife, I enjoyed this post on Noah. Nice job. 🙂

•    Ancient Wanderer  |  April 4th, 2007 at 5:19 am     Reply

Maybe that is a type of introspection or self examination… that whole “unexamined life…..” thing.

Just trying to put a positive spin on our negative thoughts.

Have you ever noticed how much of the Bible is about what we are doing wrong rather than what we are doing right? I dare say that the apostle Paul would be considered a pretty negative nelly if he were around today.

AW

•    TREY MORGAN  |  April 4th, 2007 at 2:25 pm     Reply

Smart little girl. Kids have a way of reminding us the simple things we often forget.

Liked the post. Well thought out.

•    jel  |  April 5th, 2007 at 12:25 pm     Reply

Have a great weekend, Paula! 🙂

•    Chris  |  April 5th, 2007 at 10:03 pm     Reply

Great post.

I would agree with the idea that it is perhaps a sense of “entitledness” on our part. Isn’t that basically part of the lie in the garden — you shall become like him because you deserve more, better.

It appears that Satan still uses that basic approach with us today, and sadly, we fall for it hook, line and sinker.

As did some of the apostles who argued as to who would get to sit beside Jesus.

How do we get past feeling that we deserve the best and should be treated more fairly than everyone else?

Seems the answer was “don’t worry, be happy now.” I realize those weren’t the exact words Jesus used, but they are the definite sentiment he expressed. Don’t worry because you can’t change anything, be content with what you have, and get busy because God will provide for you.” Maybe we don’t trust enough?

•    barry  |  February 7th, 2011 at 6:46 pm     Reply

big picture vs small picture. confuses us quite often.