They’re Not Counting Wednesdays!

January 2, 2007

I nearly feel out of my chair while listening to a good friend of mine preach. I heard him tell the joke regarding Wednesday Bible Study. Have you heard it?

On the Day of Judgement the people at the back of the line hear someone yelling in exitement, “Hurray, hurray! They’re not counting Wednesday!”

I listened intently and was dumbfounded when he ellaborated on the fact that we don’t have to attend Bible study on Wednesdays to be saved.

He continued, and said that in fact the very idea that we are telling people that we have to come together during the week is driving our young people away from the church.

Since when is coming together with other Christians the reason our young people want to leave the church? Isn’t it because our young people aren’t being taught at home how important God is? Isn’t it because our young people are being raised by parents who have little to no Biblical knowledge? Or is it because we’re teaching our young people that they can alter the worship service to appease themselves, which drives home the fact that worship isn’t really that important.

Back to my story, I stopped my sewing (I was listening to him on tape) and backed it up to make sure I had heard correctly. I kept listening hoping that he would explain what he meant. Surely, he means that if circumstances arise beyond your control and you can’t make it to the midweek Bible study, that isn’t going to keep you from Heaven and how just “occupying” a pew doesn’t save you either. Neither does living the way you want on Thursday after showing up on Wednesday. If you don’t want to go to midweek Bible study because you think you have better things to do then that is a big problem and, yes, that will keep you out of Heaven.

Now, before you write and tell me how we aren’t commanded to come together during the week let me assure you that I already know that but I wonder how different things would be if we could meet more than once during the week. Would we know the Word better? Would we encourage each other more? Would we be more evangelistic? What if all the Christians who gathered for Sunday morning worship would show up on Wednesday night! Just imagine what we could accomplish for Christ…

I want my children to know that, without a shadow of a doubt, there is no better place on earth than where the Christians are gathered. I would also have been very upset had they heard this sermon and been told that they didn’t have to come on Wednesdays, that it isn’t that important and that it’s not like their soul depends on it.

I’m here to tell you. It is that important and, yes, your soul does depend on it.

Are they counting Wednesdays? Why are some so worried about it unless they’re the ones that think they have better things to do on Wednesday nights…

•    Laymond  |  January 3rd, 2007 at 2:23 am     Reply

Why not Monday night.

•    Bob Bliss  |  January 3rd, 2007 at 4:34 am     Reply

That “not counting Wednesday” thing, does it apply to preachers as well?

•    Ancient Wanderer  |  January 3rd, 2007 at 5:44 am     Reply

Show up on Wednesday night? What if they showed up on Sunday and then came back Sunday night.

From time to time I have to deal with parents who try to tell me they don’t want to “push” church attendance on their children. Their justification is [1] they want their children to decide for themselves [2] they don’t want to turn them off to religion.

I countered this in our congregation for years by letting my children skip school for “church” activities. When we had Gospel Meetings I would let them stay home to door knock or hang out with the preacher. I had people come to me and try to tell me the need for education [we have a good number of teachers in the congregation]. I told them I didn’t want to push education on my children. I wanted them to decide for themselves when they were grown whether or not to be educated.

AW

•    Paula Harrington  |  January 3rd, 2007 at 12:11 pm     Reply

Why not Mondays? I’m all for it 🙂

Yes Bob, that does apply to preachers. 🙂

Don, I’ve heard people say the same thing and I’ve never understood their reasoning. It will be a scary thing to try to justify that at the Judgement.

Thanks for the comments.

•    Brian J. Tipton  |  January 3rd, 2007 at 10:15 pm     Reply

I like your site. I think part of the problem with “Wednesday Night” and other things like this is that the Church is struggling with its transition. We are trying not be legalistic and don’t know how to place expectations on our people at the same time.

I am aware of this tendency in my own preaching and teaching. How to balance the two extremes of legalism and antinomianism is difficult.

•    barry  |  February 7th, 2011 at 6:39 pm     Reply

when we mature in our Christian walk we will stop asking why we have to be there wednesday nite & start asking why aren’t we there Monday? Tuesday? Thursday? Friday? Saturday? at least that’s what I’ve heard mature Christians say.